Code for Houston
A code for America Brigade
We meet regularly to build, share and learn about tools to create, support, and serve the public good. Come join us!
CODE of CONDUCT
welcome others. do good. have fun!
- Create a safe and respectful environment for all participants, where people are free from discrimination or harassment.
- Create a place where people can fully express their identities.
- Respect others: Everyone’s ideas, skills, and contributions have value.
- Encourage questions. Don’t assume everyone has the same context or understanding of any given situation.
- Encourage members and participants to listen as much as — or even more than — they speak.
- Create ways for people to contribute productively with their skills and energy. Use additive language like “yes/and” versus destructive language like “no/but.”
- Strive to build solutions that are open and anyone can use. Prioritize activities that foster public benefit vs. private profit.
- Design and develop solutions with input from and access for those who are often excluded from the civic process.
- Ensure that the community’s diversity is well-represented in the planning, design, and implementation of solutions. This includes inviting participation from women, people of color, ethnic minorities, LGBTQ+ persons, people from different generations and abilities, and other marginalized groups.
- Actively involve mission-aligned stakeholders and those with subject matter expertise. Ensure that relationships and conversations among community members, local government, and partners remain respectful, participatory, and productive.
The Code for Houston Brigade reserves the right to ask anyone in violation of this Code of Conduct to leave and/or not participate in any Code for Houston activities, events, and digital forums. To report anyone in violation locally, please contact the Impact Hub Houston team at houston at impacthub.net.